Sunday, February 21, 2010

Utah Vs. Portland: Ascension

Sadly, since I don't live in Utah, I don't get to watch many of the Jazz's games. But thanks to ESPN's deal with the potential anti-trust violator Comcast, I got to watch today's game against Portland through ESPN360.com. I was preparing to write this post on why I'm still hopeful about the Jazz despite their somewhat pathetic loss to the Blazers. But Sloan, Williams, Boozer, and Fresenko all conspired to banish that post from the Internet. Even before I wrote it. The sorcerers! So now this post will go thusly:

I've long contemplated starting a series of posts on the best years in the NBA. Unfortunately, my knowledge of the league is limited, and I've only been watching since 1996 (and only intermittently at that). Nevertheless, my post would argue that my first year watching also happened to be one of Basketball's greats. There's the obvious awesomeness of the rookie class, Malone's MVP, the Jazz going to the finals, this, and Michael Jordan. But what made that year so spectacular for me was a game the Jazz played against the then pretty disreputable Denver Nuggets. I'm not sure if this was the first NBA game I ever attended (I certainly can't remember one before it) but it left the biggest impression of any I've seen. Although I can't remember too many of the details of the game (the NBA's rules were still a bit fuzzy to me), I do remember this: the Jazz were down by over 30 at the half. They came back and won. I remember the energy of that win, I remember my step-dad commenting, later that season, that that had been the moment during which the Jazz had taken off, had become a championship contender. That it was the moment they ascended. I've often wondered what Sloan said to them at the half. Anyway, that's long been my most cherished basketball memory. And, although much too early to tell, this game I just saw might be its exact echo.

So, what happened you ask? Well the Jazz were down by 25 at their worst. They were playing like the team we've known for the past few seasons, blowing it on the road, slipping. It didn't help that the Trailblazer's were pissed at their recent 20 point lost to Boston (boy, they must be pissed now, huh?) and came out with all guns blazing. They made a quick series of runs, and were soon up by 13 at the close of the first. They only built on this lead, and reached that 25 number I mentioned. But the Jazz didn't give up. They mustered the obligatory comeback and got it within 12 by halftime. Portland outscored them in the third. But they kept pushing in the fourth. They slowly and methodically drained the fat from Portland's juicy lead, getting within 10 then down to 4, where they stayed and stayed, until Boozer tipped one in at the buzzer. In OT it was no contest. The Jazz chopped McMillan's head off. What made the difference? Here's a few random notes, in no particular order, on why the Jazz are on the ascent, and I mean to the top.

They can't be rattled. They stuck with the game and kept playing, methodically waiting for the law of averages to cool the once red-hot Blazers and guarantee that they're shots that kept uncannily rimming out would eventually drop. They didn't give up and sit down, or fight the crowd, they coolly and methodically dismantled the Rose Garden piece by plaid piece.

Deron can't be rattled. Early in overtime Deron, who was 3 for 13 (or something like that) at the time, took a nice look and sunk it, with no mind for the past or future, living in the present like a Zen Master.

The Jazz can get constructively mad. This is a concept I don't really understand because it's not how anger affects me. Nevertheless, the Jazz, especially Sloan and Williams, can get pissed, and channel it into explosive cross overs and daring plays. Jordan could do it, it's a rare thing, and it's not how today's top players seem to operate. LeBron and Wade being too jovial and Kobe too aloof, but it works for the Jazz.

Boozer is an awesome passer. Boozer's passing game is quite great, especially inside, which is an amazing asset.

Fresenko can play. Boozer obviously deserves a lot of credit. His insane 23 rebounds were more than his points (by one) and a career high. But Fresenko's defensive ability, his rebounds, his awesome slow dunks, and his hard work and lack of blunders was probably the crucial factor.

Deron played the shit out of some defense. Twice at the end of the game, when the pressure was on, Deron successfully guarded Roy incredibly tightly and didn't let the Blazer's score. His is a tough defensive style that will probably earn the ire of many Blazer's fans and other fools. But there is no question. William's game is reaching the level of genius, and he is quickly showing how he can do anything (as long as he's angry).

The Jazz are deep. Not all pistons have to fire for this engine to run smoothly. Kirilenko went out early with back spasms. Okur was absent due to his child's birth. Don't even mention Brewer, especially not to Williams. And added to these absent men, there were the many players who weren't playing at their peak. Nevertheless Milsap's ability to score amidst guys who resemble redwoods and a couple of key 3s from Korver proved that if someone slips, there's 4 more options.

Finally, the intangible. The unknowable. Perhaps its luck, or the force of history. But that ability to claw your way back, hold off against a rallying team, or have a ball magically fall when you need it is what makes great teams great. You will win when you need to, despite the pressure and the annoying length of Marcus Camby, you will find a way. It won't necessarily be pretty, as tonight's win certainly wasn't, but you will get a win. That is what the great teams have and, after tonight, Utah has ascended to greatness.

2 comments:

  1. A slight addendum: I guess the Jazz were actually down 25 in the third, not the second (despite how I remembered it). I'll continue to correct the record as more of my mistakes are discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Portland will be broken for the rest of the season and will likely limp into the playoffs as an 8 seed. The Jazz will claim a 2nd or 3rd and will have a legitimate (although probably less than 7%) shot of making the finals. We now really know why management worked so hard to keep this team together this past summer. They are capable of true greatness. My biggest concern is the Brewer trade, though. As stated in this post, Williams is clearly upset, and rightfully so. The $4-5 million that was saved had better be worth it, considering what they risk by making this deal. Deron is clearly a very loyal person, just like his doppelganger Paul. By trading away a long time friend and teammate, the Jazz risked seriously breaching this trust and loyalty. I hope for all of our sakes that he takes his anger out on the Western conference and not on KO'C and Utah.

    ReplyDelete